Industry Applications using Lisp
"Live Lisp and prosper."
The following industrial Lisp users are grouped by industry. Each listed company is believed to use Lisp either for internal use in an industrial application or as the basis for an industrial product. Some Lisp vendors provide lists of successful customers as testimonials:research organizations are not generally listed here, nor are freely available tools, libraries and source code or individual Lisp consultants.
To create an exhaustive list would be a huge task. This listing represents only those we have stumbled across. To add, update or remove a listing, edit this page.
[ An impressive list, but it would be much more interesting if (where possible) additional links to technical information were included. paul graham's site would be a good place to start, but I imagine alain picard and others can also be leaned on to write more stuff. -- Daniel Barlow]
- Atraxis AG (other site)
- Knowledge-based systems for airline management(?).
- SAREX: A Lisp Application in Airline Fleet and Maintenance Management by Kun Sun (Proceedings of the Lisp User Group Meeting 1999)
- ITA Software
- Cheap airfare search engine Additional info:
- Mercury Scheduling Systems Inc.
- Airline Operations Software.
AI, Expert Systems and Knowledge Based Tools
- Brightware Corporation
- Knowledge-based systems.
- Charles River Analytics
- Intelligent systems.
- General knowledge base and commonsense reasoning engines. Additional info:
- Cyntergy, LLC
- Process knowledge modeling, automated planning, real-time Web site creation, intelligent communication. Additional info:
- Genworks International
- Knowledge-based engineering and business development tools and applications.
- Basic Lisp Techniques
- GWL - A Generative Language for Building Web Applications by David J. Cooper Jr, (Proceedings of the Lisp User Group Meeting 1999)
- Understanding Multi-state Generative Process Planning by David J. Cooper Jr, (Proceedings of the 40th Anniversary of Lisp--Lisp in the Mainstream Conference, 1998)
- Liberating Insight PLC
- Knowledge-based software solutions specializing in Enterprise Resource Management (ERM), Customer Relations Management (CRM) and Knowledge-Based Engineering (KBE).
- Mark Watson
- Natural language processing tools. Additional info:
another Commercial Lisp product - I dumped Java(
Computers and Computer Tools
- Beta Nine BVBA
- Advanced software development and consultancy. Additional info:
- GrammaTech, Inc.
- Software development tools (the user interface of Codesurfer was developed with STk).
- Lisp tools, consulting, Web design and hosting.
Computer Aided Design
- Design Power
- Software that makes automation of proposals and design documentation of custom products for the manufacturing, construction, plant design, and engineering industries.
- Fractal Concept
- Automated non destructive testing driving software, Internet applications. Additional info:
- An Allegro Lisp based design automation system used by aerospace, automotive and others. ICAD's developers, Knowledge Technology International, was purchased by Desault Systems, the makers of CATIA and SolidWorks.
- Covasoft, Inc.
- E-business process execution management solutions.
- Management consulting and IT solutions for e-commerce.
- Open Technologies Group
- Enterprise integration applications.
Education and Training
- Simulation authoring tools for education and training. Additional info:
Summary of Denver Area Lisp Users Group meeting #3(
Re: type safety in LISP(
- Radar Systems Software
- Real-time applications.
- Simantix Systems
- System-level testbench generation and simulation environments for functional verification.
- Chip design and analysis tools.
- American Express
- The company's Authorizer Assistant for credit card payments is a Lisp-based application.
- Wisdom Technologies
- Financial optimization systems.
- Intelligent agents for trading applications.
- Netfonds ASA
- Norwegian online stock-trading service.
- Point and Click Solutions, Inc.
- Custom software applications for corporate and government needs.
- Presentation optimization systems.
- daybyday Media GmbH is Europe's leading supplier for web-based PIMs. They use Lisp internally for benchmarking and prototyping, amongst other things.
- Meyerthole Radtke u. Siems
- Uses Lisp internally for actuarial data mining.
- Framework for building infomediary Web sites.
- Buyer-driven marketplace for expertise and problem resolution.
- Yahoo! Store
- E-commerce. Additional info:
- BSH Bosch und Siemens HausgerÃÂ¤te GmbH, one of the leading manufacturers of home appliances
- Integrated simulation systems for factory planning, logistics, SCM, and production planning.
- IC3D - Interactive Custom Clothes Company
- Mass customization for the apparel industry. Additional info:
- 42 management consulting
- Uses Lisp internally for data mining (Win32 app) and visualization (Linux web app).
- MDL Information Systems, Inc (formerly Afferent Systems)
- Applications for the pharmaceutical drug discovery (see success story).
- Clinical trials systems for the pharmaceutical industry.
- GB Software
- Psychiatric Content Analysis and Diagnosis (PCAD). Content analysis of transcribed verbal materials.
- MRAC Publishing
- Music research and composition. Additional info:
- Music notation software and services.
- Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute, University of Edinburgh - UK
- Formation: system for the layout of British Telecom's Yellow Pages classified telephone directories.
- Formation: a Small, Fast, Production Application in Lisp by Gail Anderson (Proceedings of the 40th Anniversary of Lisp--Lisp in the Mainstream Conference, 1998)
- Intelligent Handbook
- Integrated publishing, SGML solutions, document management and text repositories, text parsing and search, multilingual applications, advanced user interfaces. Additional info:
- Using Lisp in a Distributed Document Management and Preparation Project" by Greger Lindell (Proceedings of the European Lisp User Group Meeting 1999)
- S&K Automation and Robotics Division
- Intelligent automation and robotics.
- GTE Laboratories Inc.
- Diagnostic expert system for telecommunications circuits.
- Juniper Networks
- Switching routers for carriers and Internet providers.
- Joel Ray Holveck, a Juniper employee, briefly tells about his work
- Portus Group
- Interactive Voice Response systems (voicemail, call routing, tele-banking, customer support, web interfaces, etc.).
- Telenor ASA
- Norway's largest telecom and internet provider.
- The K2 System: Lisp at the Core of the ISP Business by Espen. J. Vestre (Proceedings of the European Lisp User Group Meeting 1999)
- Interhack Corporation
- Services for secure and private information infrastructure. Additional info:
Re: is Lisp used in text parsing and processing tasks?(
Re: Thanks to all so far (was Re: Size of Lisp market)(
Re: Rudeness index was Looking for Lisp compiler[sic] (
comp.lang.lisparticle) I've not heard about this anywhere else: sure it's not just the poster confusing Orbitz (ITA-driven) with Travelocity?